17 May 2007

Spending credit and credibility

How many persons do you know use a credit card wisely? I see in the newspapers, that Camille Robinson-Regis spent $174,453 from her state issued credit card.

I understand the temptation she must have, to spend. While you are in front of a particularly appealing item, and you want it, you know that you can buy it because this little card in your wallet (or purse) gives you the means... well, it is easy to see where she, you or I can be tempted.

The problem is that Camille Robinson-Regis is an elected MP, chosen by the people (at least those in her selected area) to represent, not herself, but their interests. That fact, and that fact alone should constantly be in her mind, and whenever temptation arises, she should remember that temptation arises because of who she is (if she was not the elected MP she would NOT be travelling and be in the position of temptation).

No matter how one may argue she is human and fallible, by making the decision to be involved in politics, also made her prone to meet higher standards than the rest of us.

As someone rightly said, this could be interpreted as criminal behaviour. Now that the credit is spent, so too is the credibility.

PS : 9: 35 PM GMT

After posting this blog, I came across this little article at Citadel's I95 FM.

It seems that Mrs R-G claims she spent the money to pay for a medical condition (I have issues with the reporter who seems to indicate she is buying a medical condition rather than treatment for one). Then again, I don't expect much from Citadel.

Correct me if I am wrong, isn't medical treatment free in Trinidad? Moreso for Government ministers who readily access private health care at places like St Clair Medical Centre. And I am sure Pa-trick would readily recommend, (and fund) treatment in Cuba.

WTF?