15 Aug 2007

Saying "Thank You"


Not many of us do. Say thank you that is. As Trinidadians, we have an informality about us, and yet, others (Trinis) understand the implicit gratitude we may seldom express.

In England, that "Thank You" needs to be said, and for one such as I who had manners drilled into the cranium from childhood, it's easier than for most.

And I have a lot to be thankful for. And like so many of us, I thought about it, but never acted upon it.

Today, I am acting upon a thought I have had so many times. I want to thank my teachers, from my past, my present, and any future ones I may encounter.

To my primary school teachers, Mrs Gangadhar, Ms Ramnarine, Mr Lowkie, Mr Ramsingh, Mr Sookhoo, and all the others who have been there and yet not taught me directly, I think your lessons are well learnt. You had begun the mould that created the man, and my thanks will never be enough I know, but suffice to say, I hope that it will be appreciated.

To my high school teachers, Mrs Gopiesingh, Mrs Ramgoolam, Mrs Dass (now in USA I believe), Mr Khan, Mr Sukhdeo, Mr Babooram ('Peck' for the Iere folks), Mr Jugmohansingh, Mr Shekhar Mahabir.... the list goes on, and in the intervening 2 decades I may not remember all the names, but I never forget the impact you have had on me.

I am especially grateful to those who nurtured my love of reading, rather than hindered it. Despite me choosing fiction over non-fiction, and reading at the most inappropriate times, i.e in class, you have all steered me towards expanding my reading material rather than posting limits. Mrs Gaines from Iere High School's library, and Elizabeth (don't know her last name) had allowed me the run of the entire library at my whims and fancy, even asking me to vet new books (a cool responsibility at age 14, I must admit) is something I am eternally grateful for.

I can never find you all now, being as scattered as you are, moving on, retiring etc, but while I may not be able to say individual thank you's, I am publicly saying thanks. Better late than never, eh?