29 Aug 2007

Thought of the Day

As I mentioned in one of my earlier blogs, I find myself distressed by the daily deeds of this world, where the 'I' word replaces the 'Us' word, and where likely as not, the negative outweigh the positive.

However, despite the despondency that arises upon seeing crime, corruption, cronyism, injustice etc rearing their heads and killing the society I know, I still always have this 0.01% hope that things may improve, that humanity will overcome it's pettiness and rise before wanton destruction.

With that in mind, I present today, a collection - in no particular order - of quotes on HOPE:
Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
Dale Carnegie
A sobering thought: what if, at this very moment, I am living up to my full potential?
Jane Wagner
Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow them.
Louis May Alcott
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
Gandhi
Nothing worth doing is completed in our lifetime,
Therefore, we are saved by hope.
Nothing true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history;
Therefore, we are saved by faith.
Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone.
Therefore, we are saved by love.
No virtuous act is quite a virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as from our own;
Therefore, we are saved by the final form of love which is forgiveness.
Reinhold Niebuhr
Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
Dorothy Thompson
The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Allan K. Chalmers
If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Not only is another world possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.
Arundhati Roy

I hope you have a great day.