31 May 2008

AWAKE!

No, this post is not about the movie with Jessica Alba and Hayden Christensen. This is about Jehovah Witnesses.

Now, while I am not a keen believer in God, or some superior being, I have to say I get totally incensed (not just annoyed) at other people shoving their ideas down my face.

I had a visit from a couple of Jehovah Witnesses some 10 minutes ago. Polite as ever (I do not invite them in though), I began to get cross when I explained my ideas and lifestyle differ from theirs and I am completely happy in the way I live. They just don't take no for an answer, to the point where I had to be absolutely rude and slam the door in their faces in the middle of a sentence.

Aside from the fact I personally believe the Bible might be the worse life guide ever written (that's my personal belief, so don't go arguing about it, I will not be posting any counterpoints whatsoever), I do not subscribe to several views of Jehovah Witnesses, believing them (on a personal level again) to be silly beyond words.

I met a JW in Trinidad who was receiving social assistance. Qualified, educated single mother receiving assistance for 2 children. As her new officer, I asked the logical question, 'Why are you not working to take care of your kids?'

I was told that she spent her days 'witnessing' and this was more important to her. God forbid anything come between yourself and your religion, like your children.

Having spoilt what started out as a promising day, I'd be happy if only they'd understood when I say "Sorry, not interested!", that at that point they should do a 180° turn and leave my doorway.