12 Oct 2008

Heroes - or when you ain't

It's nice to see I'm supported; that someone else shares my opinion that George Hadeed isn't all unbiased.

I'm losing my enthusiasm for the crap the politicians and dunceys spew daily. We all know they're dotish, I get fed up pointing it out. Why drag myself into negativity?

So I am trying to do something positive. I am trying to make new friends. I want to spend more time on my photography, resume my engineering studies (purely as a refresher), move ahead with my IT studies, and perhaps do more law. I am actually moving quite forward on the law, having been asked to prepare resources for the law department. So, first class opportunity to sit in with the students, soak in the lectures, and also pick the lecturers' brains at every opportunity.

I think this ruins me. Damn, I am looking at the law in a matter of the wording and meanings, and not at the sensibility. Trust me on this one, the law really can be an ass. But at times it refutes its own reputation and justifies the need.

Of course, law has it's own heroes. Ever heard of Lord Birkenhead, or to call his rightly given name F. E. Smith? The wit of the man is formidable.

Judge: I have read your case, Mr Smith, and I am no wiser now than I was when I started.

Smith: Possibly not, My Lord, but much better informed.

Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?

Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Judge: Have you ever heard of a saying by Bacon - the great Bacon - that youth and discretion are ill-wedded companions?

Smith: Yes, I have. And have you ever heard of a saying of Bacon - the great Bacon - that a much-talking judge is like an ill-tuned cymbal?

Judge: You are extremely offensive, young man!

Smith: As a matter of fact we both are; but I am trying to be, and you can't help it.

Judge: Mr Smith, you must not direct the jury. What do you suppose I am on the bench for?

Smith: It is not for me, your honour, to attempt to fathom the inscrutable workings of Providence.

Smith to witness: So, you were as drunk as a judge?

Judge (interjecting): You mean as drunk as a lord?

Smith: Yes, My Lord.

Master of the Rolls: Really, Mr Smith, do give this Court credit for some little intelligence.

Smith: That is the mistake I made in the Court below, My Lord.

It's these little witticisms I find hilarious that makes my day all the better.

This one gave me pause:

If you would govern men you must be superior to them or at least despise them.

Has Pa-trick been reading Lord Birkenhead?

Ah well, it was too good to last. I saw this a moment ago and my first impression is that Pa-trick wants to create another Dubai. While governments of many First World countries have tightened the proverbial belt and is actually having to stabilise the economy, countries such as France, Iceland, Germany, the UK, the USA... Pa-trick is spending as if money descends like manna from heaven.

The problem with all that spending is that sooner or later, there will not be enough left to spend an anything, and the ones to suffer will the population. not the present crop of politicians and their cronies... they are feathering their nests and will be rolling in millions, able to weather the rough times to come. Do you think with all the millions they have, they won't be able to afford food, or clothing, or houses, or cars, or gas, etc... It's the 'small man' who won't be able to afford these things.

Heed the words of many financial experts:

The world financial system is teetering on the "brink of systemic meltdown", the head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has warned in Washington.

I can foresee the 'cap-in-hand' begging to come.