11 May 2009

The difference is clear

I had an interesting experience this morning. About 10 AM, there was a loud knock on my door. When I opened the door, there were two men there, dressed in similar uniforms to the police.

They identified themselves as Warrant Officers of the Court, and asked me a few questions:

  • Is this… [my address]? I responded in the affirmative.
  • Is Mr Andy Jessop* (*pseudonym) home, sir? He does not live here.
  • How long have you lived here, sir? Four years.
  • Have you received mail for him, sir? Yes and I have sent them back after writing on the envelopes that he does not live here .
  • Do you have any photo ID, Mr… ? Showed him my drivers’ permit.
  • Thank you, sir.

Now the entire episode took place in about 2 to 3 minutes. They were extremely polite, made no effort to get into my home, addressed me as ‘Sir’ in every question, accepted my answers as being truthful, made their records in writing in front of me, and left after finding out what they wanted.

Now, it goes without saying that I could have been a friend of Mr Jessop, or sharing his home, or any number of similar situations that could put him as a resident at this address. But… the officers accepted that I was telling the truth.

Now compare this with how dunceys operate in Trinidad and Tobago, and the difference in intellectual qualifications is clear.