31 May 2007

English Language IX

Yesterday I was talking to a Thai girl at work named Jiab (I tell you, Thai people pretty like hell if she is a sample!). She asked why she's never seen me at work on a Thursday. I said I go to school. She asked "To learn English?"

And I thought mine was okay.

Punks is at the age where her grammar and syntax needs to be molded. So I've been explaining a few things to her.

Difference between many and much:

Many - a finite amount that can be counted e.g.
  • How many marbles fell on the floor?
  • How many litres of water fell on the floor?
  • How many pounds did you spend?
Much - an infinite amount that's not countable e.g.
  • How much water fell on the floor?
  • How much money did you spend?
  • So much luck you've had lately.
To be sure, its a simplistic approach, but then; she's only 9.