31 May 2007

Show me the funny ... names!

Let's face it. People tend to want unusual names for their offspring. Veering from the masses? Standing out from the crowd? Daring to be different? Who knows... names like Rumor, Scout (famous parents eh) etc, catch the eye in the headlines, for a while.

I saw one when I was working at a job that involved a large clientele - "Shi'Te". I kid you not. Maybe it was an effort to name the child with a genuine African name, but I shudder to think of this kid in school today.

One chap in Vietnam (where there is a 2 children rule) was hard pressed to change the name of his son. He resisted the pressing for a long time (heh heh), finally gave in and changed the name to Mai Hoang Long - translated as Golden Dragon.

Previously he named his son over his punishment for ignoring the 2 children policy: Mai Phat Sau Nghin Ruoi meaning Fined Six Thousand and Five Hundred.