25 May 2007

Nurses Fired

Well, it finally happened. After many long years of total idiocy happening in the health sector, 2 nurses are fired over carelessness that resulted in the baby Justin Paul being burnt in an incubator, by a hot water bottle of all things.

Now, I used to work in the health sector long ago. I met nice nurses, and also (mainly) the 'hoggish' ones. Most readers will know the kind I mean, the fat ones who move as if every breath is an effort and who go home with their bags laden from the hospital kitchens. Don't deny it, I've been there to see with my own eyes.

But from my experiences, most of the nurses are too lazy to do their jobs right. In the case of baby Justin, I think its right and proper they lose their jobs; carelessness like that cannot be repeated at any cost. But I am surprised at the amount of support for the nurses, calls for retraining etc., that are listed on the Express website.

From my point of view, the nurses have been trained, that's why they went to school for 3 years, 8 hours a day (according to one student nurse). And they have 8 hour shifts to practice what they learn.

Trainees are required to attend eight-hour classroom sessions or work eight-hour shifts five days a week. They work alongside doctors, registered nurses and other health care professionals.

But this is not about training. This is about total and wanton stupidity if I may borrow a phrase. Common sense is said not to be common, and it is very evident in this case. Imagine some woman (maybe a mother herself) putting a water bottle hot enough to burn skin, into a small incubator with a child who would be prone to wriggling etc without first testing the temperature (I imagine it'd be too hot to touch if its hot enough to burn skin) or without wrapping it in some padding.

So losing a job is only a small part of the iceberg. I strongly recommend a civil lawsuit for future medical expenses for the baby (even for cosmetic procedures to remove the scars). Because after displaying callousness in a job YOU chose, are getting paid for, and being too lazy to do it right, you deserve nothing less.