16 Jul 2007

Harry Potter - a magical ride to say the least.

A few years ago, I could not imagine the hype over Harry Potter. I hadn't read the books (6 years ago, they weren't as popular in Trinidad) and I hadn't met anyone who had. I was too busy working, and Punks was only 3 years old, more into Little Red riding Hood etc.

Then one fortunate day, my friend Gunesh called and said his PC was down. I drove over to have a look, and there sitting on the back of his monitor on his bookshelf were the first three books. I borrowed all three, and starting on Sunday at 6 AM I finished at 6 PM on Monday. All three.

Now I have to say, unlike the fools who believe that JK Rowling wrote books of occult and obeah, I happen to believe that they're simply well crafted books. Maybe not on the grand scale of JRR Tolkien, but nevertheless, quite exciting and imaginative. Just look at the movies to see possibilities of imagination.

One of her simple concepts, genius really, is that the first book is written at the level a form one student (age 11 or 12) will be able to read. Then as each year Harry progresses through high school, the language, the ideas grow increasingly matured. So that the books grow with the child (or vice versa).

Thus the 11 year old can relate to each successive book, but yet new 11 year olds can always start at book one.

I am however, a keen fan, despite my Grumpy Old Man status. And with the final book due out on Friday midnight, I am eagerly anticipating the conclusion of the adventure. But I am also saddened that the fun is almost over.