25 Jul 2007

Windows Live Writer

For those bloggers who have not yet tried Windows Live Writer, I must say you are missing out on a great blogging tool. It is compatible with Blogger, LiveJournal, TypePad, and WordPress … to name a few. And yes, it is possible to have multiple accounts.

It downloads the exact template of your blog, and by blogging into your template in Live Writer, you can adjust to your hearts content, offline (for those on dial-up, this is a Godsend).

Then, when your final draft is ready (yes, you can do drafts, so you can do multiple blogs and take your time), to publish is a simple one click.

I even managed to obtain and install a British Dictionary. To install, simply follow these instructions:

Make sure Windows Live Writer is installed but not active.

Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Live Writer\Dictionaries.

Rename ssceam.tlx to ssceam_old.tlx and ssceam2.clx to ssceam2_old.clx.

Then extract both files from the downloaded (zipped) file and rename sscebr2.clx to ssceam2.clx and sscebr.tlx to ssceam.tlx. Then load Live Write.

There are only two disadvantages (to my style of blogging). One is that I cannot post images directly from my PC but must upload to an FTP server first. I can however post links directly to online photos.

The second disadvantage is that I cannot justify my text (I am a stickler for neatness) but that is easily corrected when I log into my Blogger account. I use my custom tags at this stage, instead of the default Technorati tags.

Additionally, you can insert tables, maps, smileys, Flickr images, clipboard contents, symbols, Technorati tags, video, HTML code etc.

I haven't even begun to take advantage of all the features but I'm sure in time I will become more adept.