2 Aug 2007

Oddities of nature translating into insanity of mind

Last year, by August, this time, we were in the middle of a 'heat wave'. Temperatures were well into the 30's (°C, ok?) and I remember I was looking for a fan or small air condition unit to buy. Bought the fan, didn't see the point in getting an air condition unit for a couple months out of an entire year. Pigs were dying from sunstroke (pigs don't have sweat glands to keep them cool, hence the rolling in mud all the time).

My relatives were here on a visit from Trinidad and aside from the (much colder ) winds, they didn't seem at all uncomfortable... I remember Punks being so brown I found a new nickname for her.

Yet this year, we are battered by unceasing rains, and low temperatures. Imagine today being August 2nd, and the temperature outside for Birmingham is a mere 12°C. When you consider a typical night in Trinidad being about 22°C, and we Trinis pulling for an extra coverlet... makes you wonder what de a**e I am doing here in England, eh?

I was totally warped out when I heard legally the temperature in offices and buildings is required to be a whopping 16°C... I remember telling my boss I was from bleddy Trinidad and if I was cold I want the fecking heat on!! Made for exciting times for my co-workers then, I tell you, but I managed a great 26°C out of the cheap bastaads.

England has been battered by rains, flooding, and high winds. Umbrellas don't last long, and I remember reading on the BBC news that the high winds blew two persons clean off a wall near the seaside... both subsequently drowned.

So these oddities in the natural order makes me wonder if I am insane to stay here, and not return to Trinidad where even the mud is warm... then I remember the crime and corruption and I stand in my shoes and I wonder...

I'll let my readers vote.