27 Sept 2007

Trampling on our freedoms

In many areas, Trinidad and Tobago behaves as if it is a Christian state. Well, the Government behaves as if Trinidad and Tobago was. Sure, the Constitution says every creed, every race, every religion, in short, everybody, has equal standing. But looking and examining the facts certainly destroy the imagery projected as well as the intention.

Pa-trick uses Christian principles in his planning, an insult to me as I am of different religious persuasion, and am governed by different traditions, customs and morals. While I agree that all religions teach essential principles for good living, there is much in many religions that fall short of an ethical life.

By and large though the Christian principles that Pa-trick call upon are, in my view, a hindrance to development, especially as I am not bound by them. Take this gambling case for instance, or abortion. If he were to advance sounder reasons besides spouting Christian rhetoric, I may still listen.

The Christian church may be bound to frown upon these, but I feel no such constraints, and indeed I have never made it a secret that I think ASPIRE is on the right track and am fully supportive of them. Indeed there are many stronger reasons for legalising abortions than continuing to oppose it.

Pa-trick has my full permission to remove whatever jhandis he finds at the Prime Minister's residence while he occupies it, same as any Prime Minister of any other religion can remove whatever Christian crosses he finds upon his occupation; it's all about the occupation and timing. Good manners though dictate a more tolerant approach.

I am fully appreciative of the fact that Pa-trick wants to be a pastor upon retirement, perhaps fueled by the golden dreams of Cuffie et all and the lifestyle they lead; heaven knows after all that corruption, grafts, kickbacks, gambling in the family etc, he may need all the forgiveness and help to achieve atonement.

But to rule the country as a Christian state especially since they're in the minority) is definitely a no-no, and I cannot help but wonder why we put up with it, this trampling of our freedoms and rights.