27 Dec 2007

Liberate your potential

My sister (who very occasionally comments on this blog) visited me from Trinidad for this Christmas; luggage overweight with Trinidad goodies for Punks. Usual Trini travel story.

But during one of our conversations, in passing, she mentioned a book by Robert Kiyosaki - Rich Dad, Poor Dad. It sounded fascinating, so I did some digging... and I am glad that I did. I now have a copy of this excellent book.
I had two dads - a rich one and a poor one.

One dad was highly educated and intelligent; he had a Ph.D. and had completed four years of under-graduate work in less than two years. He then went to Stanford University, the University of Chicago, and Northwestern University to do his advanced studies. All on full, financial scholarships.

My other dad never finished the eighth grade. Both men were successful in their careers, working hard all their lives. Both earned substantial incomes.

Yet one dad struggled financially all his life and the other dad would become one of the richest men in Hawaii. One died leaving tens of millions of dollars to his family, charities, and his church. The other left a legacy of unpaid bills. Both men were strong, charismatic, and influential. Both men offered me advice, but they did not advise the same things.
Guess which dad was the millionaire?

This book is a fascinating read, if only to see the difference in the way people think... the difference between binding ourselves in financial chains, as opposed to liberating our potential. It highlights the fact that most of us play it safe in life... another book that points out the same picture is Who moved my cheese? - Dr Spencer Johnson.

My New Years resolution - to liberate my potential.